Surgical Education programme at the Northern Hospital is important to us.
The training and education programmes conducted throughout the year aim to develop the basic surgical skills of junior doctors interested in all specialties of surgery. SET trainees are provided ongoing education and training to assist them to progress through their training program and prepare for the fellowship examination.
All junior doctors not just those in the SET programmes are encouraged to attend the educational activities offered at Northern Health.
General Surgery educational activities include:
1) Regular Thursday afternoon forums:
- Monthly audit for the surgical units (general, paediatric, vascular and thoracic Surgery)
- Annual audits of sub-specialties
- Consultant / fellow / registrar presentations on various surgical topics
- Registrar case presentations – competition
2) Weekly tutorial for General Surgical Registrars (HMOs & interns can attend)
3) Fortnightly Operative Surgery / Case presentations / Journal Club session for all
4) Ad-hoc surgical tutorials by consultants for registrars and HMOs (mostly focused at preparing senior trainees for fellowship examination)
5) Laparoscopic suturing workshops (four a year) – Here is a video Lap Hernia workshop held in June 2018 https://vimeo.com/278996336
6) Weekly multi-disciplinary meetings in all sub-specialties of general surgery
7) Thursday morning Gastro-Intestinal (GI) meetings (combined with Gastroenterology unit)
8) Weekly Intern and HMO education (Tuesdays and Thursdays)
9) FRACS Fellowship Exam Preparation course.
For more information on the surgical education programme at Northern Health email Mr Krinal Mori – Surgical Lead (email@example.com).
Surgical Specialty Units at the Northern Hospital
- General Surgery
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Paediatric Surgery
- Thoracic Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
General Surgical Units at the Northern Hospital
- Unit 1 – Colorectal and General Surgery
- Unit 2 – Breast and General Surgery
- Unit 3 – Endocrine, General and Upper GI Surgery
- Unit 4 – Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary, Upper GI and General Surgery
- Acute General Surgery Unit (AGSU)